In honor of National Chocolate Day this month, we have to point out some of the key benefits this craved sweet delivers to our skin! Products containing cocoa are known to hydrate the skin and smooth fine lines resulting in younger looking complexions. So be guilt free – this indulgence packs a powerful beauty punch!
In an article titled “19 Amazing Benefits Of Dark Chocolate For Skin, Hair And Health” on StyleCraze.com it states “dark chocolate is also packed with potent antioxidants and contains various essential nutrients which help you to stay healthy and beautiful. Powerful antioxidants like flavonoids help avoiding cardiovascular disorders and reduce risks of strokes.”
In addition to health benefits, skin benefits are realized as well. In the StyleCraze.com article, 6 skin benefits are provided from using dark chocolate.
- Dark chocolate is a skin-friendly ingredient that helps keeping your skin healthy, glowing and just flawless.
- As mentioned above, dark chocolate hosts a range of potent antioxidants. These antioxidants protect your skin from free radical damage; keeping it soft, supple and juvenile for long.
- With great sun protection properties, it shields your skin against detrimental UV rays and thus helps preventing conditions like sunburns and skin cancer.
- Regular consumption of dark chocolate helps you achieve a smooth, problem free complexion. It also keeps your skin moist and well nourished.
- Dark chocolate makes an excellent skin-detoxifier in combination with caffeine. It sloughs off the dead skin cells and allows the newly exposed, fresh skin to breathe freely.
- Stress is a huge beauty bummer. If not checked, it can ruin your entire personality. Dark chocolate boasts wonderful stress-relieving qualities and work wonders in getting you a glowing skin by reducing elevated stress hormones.
A Reader’s Digest article concurs as it featured an article titled “3 Health Benefits of Dark Chocolate”. It believes dark chocolate can protect the skin. “German researchers found that the flavonoids in dark chocolate absorb UV light, help protect and increase blood flow to the skin, and improve skin’s hydration and complexion.”
So when reaching for the chocolate, select the dark chocolate though as it has a much higher concentration of the beneficial antioxidants that deliver results to the skin! So whether a tasty treat, a chocolate spa treatment or a topical skin care cream with chocolate, go ahead and splurge! After all, it’s National Chocolate Day!